Look here: Vident iLink400 for newbies: guides to read I/M readiness status data
Why do you need to read I/M readiness status data?
Because I/M Readiness Status Data I/M Readiness option allows you to view a snapshot of the operations for the emission system on OBDII/EOBD vehicles.
What is I/M readiness?
I/M Readiness is a useful function used to check if all monitors are OK or N/A. The vehicle’ s computer performs tests on the emission system during normal driving conditions. After a specific amount of drive time (each monitor has specific driving conditions and time required), the computer’ s monitors decide if the vehicle’s emission system is working correctly.
When the monitor’s status is:
OK – the vehicle was driven enough to complete the monitor.
INC (Incomplete) – the vehicle was not driven enough to complete the monitor.
N/A (Not Applicable) – the vehicle does not support that monitor.
There are two types of I/M Readiness tests:
Since DTCs Cleared – shows the status of the monitors since the DTCs were last cleared.
This Drive Cycle – shows the status of monitors since the start of the current drive cycle.
How to use Vident iLink400 code reader to retrieve I/M readiness status data:
Look here: abbreviations and names of OBD II monitor supported by the Vident code reader.
There are two ways to retrieve I/M Readiness Status data:
One-click I/M readiness key
Typical way: select I/M Readiness from Diagnostic Menu
To retrieve I/M Readiness Status data by one-click I/M readiness key:
1. Press the One-Click I/M Readiness Key on the keypad and the following screen displays
2. Colored LED and build-in beeper provide both visual and audible reminders for emission checks and DTCs. Below is the interpretation of the LED and build-in beeper.
When the LED is :
Indicates that engine systems are “OK” and working properly (the number of Monitors equipped with the vehicle which have run and performed their self-diagnostic testing is in the allowed range. MIL is off. ). No stored and pending DTCs exist. The vehicle is ready for an Emissions Test.
The tool finds a possible problem. It indicates the following two conditions:
(1) Pending DTCs exist. Please check the I/M Readiness test result screen and use the Read Codes function to view detailed codes information.
(2) Some of the vehicle’s emission monitors have not worked properly. If the I/M Readiness screen shows no DTC (including pending DTC), but the Yellow LED is still illuminated, it indicates a “Monitor Has Not Run” status.
Red– Indicates some problems that exist with one or more of the vehicle’s system, and the vehicle is not ready for an Emissions Test. As well there are DTCs found. The MIL lamp on the vehicle’s instrument panel will light steady. The problem that is causing the illumination of the Red LED should be fixed before an Emissions Test or driving the vehicle further.
The built-in beeper works with the colored LED simultaneous, as assistance to reflect the I/M Readiness test results:
Green: two long beeps.
Yellow: short, long, short beeps.
Red: four short beeps.
To retrieve I/M Readiness Status data:
1. Scroll with UP/DOWN key to highlight I/M Readiness from Diagnostic Menu and press the OK key. If the vehicle supports both types of monitors, a screen for monitor type selection displays. Select a monitor type and press the OK key.
2. If the vehicle is tested supports both types of monitors, following screen displays.
3. Depending on the readiness test, one of these 2 screens will be present. Use the up and down arrow keys to scroll through data. Press the ESC key to exit.
Vident iLink400 User Manual: http://www.videntshop.com/upload/pro/vident-ilink400-single-make-full-system-scan-tool-user-manual.pdf